Monday, May 2, 2011

Back to the soup

I am so sick of eating soup.

All I ever do is cook soup, taste soup, ladle soup, and eat soup for every meal. Something has got to change. My job search hasn't yielded any results so far, so the soup kitchen is still my home. I've got to get out of here and get to a restaurant.

-------

Now I know why I didn't go out to these restaurants before. They're disgusting. I had some trouble deciding where to eat at first, because I've never heard any talk of what's good and what's not. I thought I'd try the Vietnamese restaurant, but Hans-Georg ran through the door screaming as I tried to enter. I went with him. What good could possibly come from that restaurant?

I walked around for a while and finally decided on Deena's 24 hour diner. You know those movies where the people who work at the diners act all nice and hospitable and then kill you and serve you to their next customer? I'm pretty sure that goes down at Deena's. I decided to let that go and try to enjoy my meal. I stayed away from the meat though.

I ordered a grilled cheese sandwich and coke to start off. Simple, I know.... but I thought I should transition into solid food a bit slowly. The cheese felt like rubber, and I'm pretty sure they just dunked the bread in grease before they put it on my plate. The sandwich was literally floating. All I could think about was how nice it was that I had a coke to wash that taste down, but even that was gross. It was flat and warm, and the absolute opposite of refreshing. $5.60 down the drain.

I spent more of my time watching everybody in the restaurant than focusing on my food, because I didn't want to vomit all over the floor. At least, I tried to watch the people. The only other signs of life in there with me were Deena (who may have, in one life, been named David) and a sketchy man in the corner in a trenchcoat and Fedora. I didn't even want to know. Long story short, I choked down what I could and got the hell out. Soup will do it for me for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment